The Department of Chemistry was founded as an independent unit in 1919. Its mission is to provide education and training through fundamental and applied research in all areas of chemistry. The department is currently is organized in eight laboratories (Analytical Chemistry, Biochemistry, Environmental Chemistry, Food Chemistry, Industrial Chemistry, Inorganic Chemistry, Organic Chemistry, and Physical Chemistry) with modern facilities for research and teaching, and ample space for future expansion. The faculty members have established and work along a large number of domestic and international research collaborations in chemistry and related fields.
The inspiration to establish a university in Greece emerged alongside the Greek War of Independence (Greek Revolution). The National and Kapodistrian University of Athens, officially founded in April 14th, 1837, is the first university not only of Greece, but also both the Balkan Peninsula and the Eastern Mediterranean region.